- Sustainability Activities
To Be Trusted by All and Develop in Harmony with Society
We strive to engage in corporate activities that are trusted by our stakeholders,
while giving due consideration to global environmental conservation and safety in our everyday lives.
Here, we introduce our sustainability activities, including our social contribution activities,
through which we aim to support the development of a sustainable society.
The importance of measures in relation to sustainability, such as human rights, climate change, and biodiversity, is becoming ever more important. Meanwhile, due to the supply chain disruptions brought by the spread of COVID-19, as well as growing geopolitical risks, our business environment has been changing rapidly.
We have identified “Sustainable” as one of the key concepts under our Conduct Guidelines. Toward finding solutions to a wide range of social issues, we will engage in autonomous business activities, through which we strive to provide, to our stakeholders, new added value in line with increasingly complex environmental changes, while ensuring thorough communication and accountability. By doing so, we aim to realize sustainable growth.
President and Chief Executive OfficerKatsunori Mori
Basic Policy on Sustainability Management
- We will strive at all times to increase our corporate value by engaging in conscientious activities, while remaining firmly aware of Mitsui & Co. Plastics’ social significance, as well as our connection to the environment. One of the key concepts under Mitsui & Co. Plastics’ Conduct Guidelines is “Sustainable”. Toward finding solutions to a wide range of social issues, we will engage in autonomous business activities, through which we strive to provide, to our stakeholders, new added value in line with increasingly complex changes in the business environment, while ensuring thorough communication and accountability. By doing so, we aim to realize sustainable growth.
- We will enhance the awareness of every employee in relation to sustainability, and strengthen our platform for executing sustainability management through the solid implementation of internal controls. In this manner, we will actively contribute to society.
- We will continue to fulfill our sustainability-related accountability and contribute to the creation of a sustainable future in harmony with the environment.
Sustainability Management Conduct Guidelines
Due Consideration for the Environment and Safety
- Based on the concept of “Global Conservation and Consideration for Humanity,” we ensure that our corporate actions give due consideration to the environment, safety, and human rights.
- We constantly endeavor to reduce or recycle waste in order to save both resources and energy.
- By adding “Circular Economy” to our important management themes, we work to build a sustainable society in harmony with the environment.
Fair and Transparent Corporate Ethics
- We place the utmost importance on sound and fair corporate ethics, and strive to ensure that all our corporate actions are trusted by our stakeholders.
- We put great importance on communication with society, and positively disclose information for mutual understanding.
- Environmental issues carry the potential for significant global impact or damage. They are a major concern that relates to mankind’s very survival. Conservation of the global environment in a sound condition is the ultimate social responsibility of all individuals.
- To fulfill our social responsibility as a good corporate citizen, we define our proactive response to global environmental conservation as one of the highest priorities in our business management.
- Toward achieving sustainable development, we persist in making the utmost efforts to realize both sound corporate activities and global environmental conservation.
- We proactively encourage our officers and employees to increase their awareness of the importance of environmental conservation.
We conduct domestic trading, importing, and exporting of a wide range of products, including synthetic raw resin materials and products, as well as chemicals and machinery. Some of the products we handle have the potential to affect the environment. We periodically assess these transactions from the perspective of global environmental conservation, based on the guidelines described below, and set out and review our environmental objectives and goals. In this manner, we strive to prevent environmental destruction and contamination, establish environmental management systems, and implement continuous improvements.
Initiatives through Business Activities
- Compliance with related laws and regulations In promoting the company’s business activities, we comply with domestic and foreign environmental laws and regulations, as well as any agreements, contracts, etc. that we have entered into.
- Encouraging the handling of raw materials and products with lower environmental impacts We actively handle and sell environmentally friendly raw materials and products, and products conducive to global environmental conservation.
- Thorough environmental management at company offices
We proactively promote environmental management at company offices. We strongly encourage initiatives to separate waste and save energy and resources. Through these initiatives, we reduce our environmental impact as far as possible.
Acquisition of ISO-14001 certification
We obtained ISO-14001 certification in June 2005, and further acquired the certification for the entire company in September 2009. We fully recognize that our corporate activities have the potential to affect the global environment and we are promoting environmental conservation measures.
Gold Medal Awarded in CSR Assessment by EcoVadis
EcoVadis (Head Office: France) provides comprehensive corporate social responsibility (CSR) assessment services covering a broad range of non-financial management systems, including companies’ impacts on the environment, labor & human rights, ethics, and sustainable resources procurement. In September 2022, Mitsui & Co. Plastics was awarded the EcoVadis Gold Medal in a sustainability assessment. We will continue promoting measures that help to realize the development of a sustainable society, while working hard to meet our social responsibilities.
We have adopted the ISO-14001 global management standard, and regularly review our internal control systems to ensure we keep up with the latest environmental requirements. As part of our efforts to maintain and upgrade our management systems, we carry out objective evaluation of the effectiveness of our internal control systems by undergoing annual reviews executed by third party organizations.
We encourage the efficient use of our office lighting, and ensure that lights are turned off in meeting rooms and other locations when not in use. The use of air conditioners is restricted, and the temperature settings for cooling and heating are strictly controlled. Sensors have been installed at the Head Office to automatically detect the ambient brightness, and the lighting is automatically adjusted to meet the target illuminance level (750 lx). Sensors have also been installed to determine whether people are present, and the lighting is controlled accordingly to save energy.
Reduced use of copy paper
We intend to use resources efficiently every day by adopting a “double-sided printing or two-in-one printing” policy whenever the nature of the document allows, to reuse, or reduce the use of, copy paper.
No-overtime day initiative
We designate “no-overtime days” to help employees work more efficiently and to improve their work-life balance. This also leads to saving of electricity, resources, and energy.
We save resources and separate waste at company offices and reduce our environmental impact as much as possible, contributing to recycling activities.
Cool Biz initiative
As part of our global environmental conservation activities to cut down on electricity use in summer, we display posters promoting the “Cool Biz” summer dress code in the reception area from May to October every year, as a way of encouraging employees to participate in the campaign and facilitating the understanding of external parties for our summer dress code.
We hold training sessions for new employees, training courses on industrial waste, and other training programs to enhance awareness of environmental conservation.
Sustainable Supply Chain Policy
- Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd.’s Management Philosophy is Each and every employee shall strive to create new value through autonomous business activities. Toward the realization of this goal, as a member of Mitsui & Co. group, we will turn our key concepts “Co-creation – take on challenges, create, and connect” – into action and sustainably offer our unique functions and services to meet the needs of customers and society, and we will strive to gain, through business activities of the Mitsui & Co. group, an understanding of issues associated with the supply chains in which Mitsui & Co. group is involved. Furthermore, based on various perspectives of stakeholders who may be affected by these issues, Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd. will value dialogue with relevant parties, while working to find solutions to these issues on a global group basis. In this way, Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd. will do its utmost to achieve sustainable development.
- Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd. will require its business associates, including suppliers, to understand and implement the following principles, and will strive to create sustainable supply chains in cooperation with them:
Respect for International Standards
To ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations of relevant countries, fair transactions in accordance with international rules and practice, and corruption prevention.
Respect for Human Rights
To strive not to infringe on human rights in our business activities, nor to contribute to human rights infringements by others through our business relationships, including supply chains.
- Forced Labor
Not to tolerate forced labor or any forms of modern slavery, including bonded labor or human trafficking.
- Child Labor
Not to tolerate child labor and to comply with the minimum working age stipulated by the law. Not to hire individuals that are under the age of 18 for roles requiring hazardous work.
To prohibit any form of discrimination in employment.
- Harassment and Inhumane Treatment
Not to tolerate any form of harassment, irrespective of whether it is physical or mental harassment.
- Freedom of Association and Right to Collective Bargaining
To respect the rights of employees to associate freely and bargain collectively in our labor-management relations.
- Working Hours and Wages
To properly manage employees’ working hours, holidays, leaves of absence, and wages in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Occupational Health and Safety
To secure the health and safety of employees in the work environment.
- Community Impact
To conduct human rights impact assessments, covering issues such as prevention of pollution and water stress, for prevention of adverse impacts on the safety and health of local communities. To implement necessary measures in line with international standards to avoid risks and mitigate negative impacts.
To reduce the burden on the environment through the efficient utilization of resources, energy, and water, as well as the thorough reduction, reuse, and recycling of waste, including harmful substances, and its proper disposal. To give the utmost consideration to the environment to the extent technologically and economically feasible by exercising an appropriate degree of influence and evaluating the impact on the environment, not only in the prevention of pollution, but also on such issues as climate change and the conservation of biological diversity.
Safety and Security of Products and Services
To ensure safety and security of products and services.
To properly disclose information related to the above principles in a timely manner.
- Forced Labor
- Where it is identified that in violation of this policy, Mitsui & Co. group’s business activities have caused adverse human rights impact or contributed to it through its business transactions including its supply chains, Mitsui & Co. Plastics Ltd. will work to remediate such impacts through appropriate processes.
Social Contribution Activities
We believe that contributing to the sustainable development of society is every company’s social responsibility.
We remove and collect the caps from PET bottles and recycle the caps to reduce CO2 emissions. We use the profits from the sale of recycled caps in support of programs to vaccinate children in developing countries. As of January 2022, we had donated over 242,477 caps.
Donations to support guide dog training
It costs more than 4.5 million yen to train a guide dog. By installing donation boxes companywide, we support the guide dog training efforts led by the Japan Guide Dog Association.
Donation of used stamps to assist medical activities in Asia
We collect used stamps on mail received from suppliers and other business partners and donate them to a public benefit corporation for overseas medical cooperation services, which support overseas medical activities, mainly in Asia.